Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 16, 2013

Hello Trinidad...


So, I'm 4 for 4 on leaving the country during transfers since I've been down here. I got to take a trip to Trinidad this past week, for a mission leadership Council. All the zone leaders in the mission got to come to Trinidad for a little bit of in-person training with President and Sister Mehr and the assistants. And since there's no way flight-wise to get from Guianne to Trinidad in the same day, I ended up being gone for 4 full days. Left Tuesday morning, spent the night in Martinique (which, already, I barely recognized-there's a scary thought), and then flew to Trinidad Wednesday. Conference started that night, went all of Thursday, and then I woke up at 3:30am to get back to Guianne at 8:30pm Friday night. Lots of travel. I've got tons of stamps in my passport.

And that doesn't even count the conference itself! It was amazing. I think one of the big takeaways from that had to do with spiritual impressions, learning how to follow the spirit. I'll super summarize what I learned. First off, having received the gift of the Holy Ghost, all that we need now to actually have Him with us is worthiness and desire. But even then, there is the element of faith in following His promptings. Yes, He will be there, but we exercise our faith by acting humbly and with confidence, sincerely believing that He will guide our steps. My new mantra is "If you feel like you should do it, do it. If you feel like you shouldn't do it, don't do it". Note that this is something that does not work for the natural man being unable to receive the spirit in the first place (1 Cor. 2), but for those who really seek to do the right thing and be guided by the Lord, it will lead us in the light (D&C 93)(I don't have the verses off the top of my head).

Then, a great quote from Neal A Maxwell about stress and trials. I'll paraphrase; the doctrine of foreordination means that before the foundations of this world, we were each weighed, and given a measure of trials and tribulations equal to our abilities. None of us would ever be given trials that we could not support, but we must notice also that God cannot expect of us less than that of which we are capable, if we are ever to grow as we could. So, as Elder Maxwell concluded, when we are "weighed and found wanting", the real solution to our tribulations is to be more determined disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that even if it requires all that we have to give, we will never be beaten.

I don't have my notes with me...darn.

Oh yeah, but this week we had someone start to sing to us in the middle of their prayer. ...I had mixed feelings about it.

So Christmas-so long as it's still good for Pono, we're going to do the call at 11am New Cal time. I don't actually know what time that is for any of you...or for me...so if someone could let me know I would be very grateful.

That's my time! Love you!

-Elder Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment