Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 7, 2014

La Conférence Générale

So yeah, that happened this week. Just in case you weren't au courant. aware

So I'm going to start this email off with a big disclaimer; because weeks are so full, it is very rare that I make it to Monday and that I can actually remember anything that happened a week ago. This leads to all of my emails being pretty heavily focused on the back end of the week. So it will be with this one.


But, here's one thing that I do remember! Tuesday, we had an exchange in which I was with Elder Sims, a great missionary who has been in the field for approximately one week. I had a great time reminiscing about back in the day, trying to understand people and basically saying to everyone I meet "I'm Elder Santos...I'm new...". Also (and Mom, I hesitate to tell you this, but I'll do it anyway), at the end of the exchange, when I asked if he had any suggestions for me or for our area, what he said was "try to keep your apartment cleaner". So. Take that for what you will.

Wednesday was exciting too, because we were just a little bit triple-booked. Elder Harrison had a legal appointment at the prefecture in Basseterre at 8am, our car was overdue for a revision and we had an appointment in Jarry at 7h30, and then we had what we call Mission Leadership Council on the computer at 10am. Well, we used the split to solve the first problem (I took the car, he went to BT), but then, carless, we had to get to the church for our appointment. I asked Elder Sims if we should walk or try to figure out the bus system, and he said walk. So we took off, for what I thought would be a much shorter distance than it ended up being. Long, uninteresting story short, we ended up walking about 1h 15 for what Google maps says is about a 5 mile walk. It was the first time in a long time that I could feel a blister forming on my foot!

Anyhow, you all saw conference too, so I won't give you a play-by-play, but just as food for thought, what did you think of Elder Packer's talk? Especially the ending, my jaw dropped.

Also, there was a moment on Sunday, when Elder Harrison and I had a relatively short period in which it felt like everyone came together to tell us what we were doing wrong. And as I've been reflecting on it, I've realized that I think one of the hardest things for me (think about my externally motivated thing from last week) is to have people that I care about be unhappy with the work that I do; at least, when I feel that I've been doing my best. If my love language is affirmation, then it's true that being told what I'm doing wrong is a particularly humbling experience. But one that I need, and one that I'm sure to keep getting.

I love being a missionary, because I love seeing the power of deliverance. A modified version of a Thomas S Monson quote has been coming to my mind recently- I always want to be on the Lords errand, for then I will always be entitled to the Lord's help.

Love you all!
-Elder Santos


1-no explanation needed.
2-I bought new shoelaces! Here's the old ones.
3-I love you mom! This is in between conferences sessions on Saturday.




No comments:

Post a Comment