Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 21, 2013


Guess who's totally got more random holidays than Pono...


But yeah. Because we're both good little catholics, we had Pentecost on Monday. Happy Pentecost! I hope the gift of tongues abounded. Then, for those of you who don't know your Martiniquaise history, the 22 May is the day that slavery was abolished here. So, we're going to make that another holiday. The only thing is that since Monday is ferié bank holiday and  is also ferié, basically no one went to work  either. In fact, the only reason I'm emailing now is because we decided to just go to the church and get it done, rather than waiting until Incidentally, happy 22 Mai! You're all white, so you still have to go to work.

But anyhow...what a week-and-a-few-days. I don't know if I told you all this last time, but this past week was scheduled to be crazy.Tuesday, Elder and Sister Bennion came into Martinique, to look for a new apartment for new missionaries here. Wednesday President and Sister Mehr arrived with the assistants, and had a fireside that night with the members and some amis. We did my interview right before that, to save us having to do it at zone conference later that week. I've got to say, I love being around that man, because I feel like I just get straight revelation every single time that he talks. One of my favorite parts was at the fireside, when he told the members that he knew why they had been born.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Each one of you who had accepted covenants with the Lord were foreordained before the foundation of the world to prepare the earth for the second coming of Jesus Christ. Do you believe that?"

This past week, he talked to the missionaries a lot about how to change the culture of missionary work here, and the blessings that will give us. I heard him say several times that as missionaries, we are called to teach. We have got to stop the current way of doing things, where we find someone to teach, set up an appointment, and then ask members to come teach with us. "You are the teachers, they are the finders". Rather than "Would you come teach this person I found?" ideal missionary work would consist of us saying "When can we come and teach that person that you found?". Wednesday night was his chance to kick the butts of the members-at one point he gave them the invitation that night to pray to God and ask what He would have them do for Him. He said, though, that he already knew the answer.

ALSO QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Go ahead and ask God what he wants you to do. I know already what the answer will be, because there is no way that He won't tell you to share the gospel. There is absolutely no chance that he won't ask you to save your brothers and sisters, His sons and daughters".

That is what we do! That is what each of you have the chance and sacred trust to do! That is what we were foreordained to, and how we are going to prepare the world for the coming of Christ. I've thought often about the fact that as a relatively simple person, I really have absolutely nothing that I can give to God. Even giving Him my heart and my will doesn't make me anything more than what King Benjamin called an "unprofitable servant". But I realized something this past week-I have the ability to serve God by saving his children and bringing them back to Him. And when you think about it, what greater service could anyone ever give?

Then, Thursday we left for Guadeloupe to have our zone conference. I had a famous Guadeloupeen Bokit for the first time (It's a creole thing, missionaries talk alot about it, but as far as I can tell it's a glorified sandwich), and probably the worst night of sleep I've had so far on my mission. I hope the mosquitoes aren't that bad everywhere in Guadeloupe. Friday morning we left bright and early for zone conference. Lots of great stuff, but I'll just give you the highlights. 
-Asking for help is a tricky thing. No one likes feeling needy or dependant, but in fact you get to give others the chance to serve, and therefore merit blessings from above. Don't be afraid to ask them to do hard things either; service is never meant to be convenient. Sacrifice is what brings forth blessings.
-Speaking of the Captain Moroni, we read that if every man were like him, the very powers of hell would be shaken forever. So a good reflection question would be this-if every man (and woman) were like you, would the powers of hell shake? Or would Satan have an easier job? Our goal shouldn't necessarily be to be like Moroni, but rather we should try to be someone who others should want to be like. Be thou an example of the believers.
-now for a quick number session. President told us that in the last six months, as a mission, we contacted 50,000 people. In the same period of time, we baptized 32 people from unassisted contacting efforts. That's a lot of work, which is great. There are (hopefully) 32 more people who are that much closer to salvation, which is awsome. But there's a better way to do the work.
-The Lord is hastening his work. When I arrived in Martinique, there were 4 elders here. Right now, we have 6. In the next two transfers, we are going to receive a senior couple and a pair of sisters. For the first time ever, there will be 10 full time missionaries in Martinique (and only one branch, I might add). It's time for us to catch up to what God expects for us.

Also at zone conference, Elder Porterfield and I got to do a little 5-minute teaching segment that the assistants asked us to do a week ago, and the Martinique Elders were asked to do a musical number. We did (in the french hymnbook) #29, O viens, Toi Roi des Rois. Come O Thou King of Kings With a little bit of help, we were actually able to do a little bit of 4 part harmony. Sœur Mehr, who was in the MoTab before leaving on a mission, said she liked it. I was a little disappointed, but hey, whaddya going to do. That's the price you pay for being brought up a music snob.

Anyway, Saturday we came back to Martinique, and now we're back into the swing of things.

A quick sidenote; a while ago I talked about how rain was one of the little things I'm grateful for. Well I still am, but I think God might have heard me and decided to try to change my mind or something. It has been RAINY here recently. I've discovered that as a missionary, there's multiple stages of "wet" that you go through, depending on how bad it's raining.
1-"Great, a little something to cool us off"
2-"Huh, it's really coming down, isn't it?"
3-"Maybe we can just wait it out under cover?"
4-"Oh no! Don't let my tie get wet!"
5-"Rain rain, go away..."
6-"I'm just going to try to keep my feet dry"
7-"Aaand I can no longer give away this Book of Mormon."
8-"Huh, I didn't know my shoes could hold this much water."
9-"I wonder if my camera will ever work again..."
10-"Does this count as breaking mission rules?"

ps-Mom, don't freak out. Even if you sent me a poncho and boots, I would never wear them.

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT: Basically, read what I said earlier about member work. I would like to re-extend a modified version of the invitation from earlier. Please, before my birthday, invite at least one person to a soirée with the missionaries. They don't necessarily have to say yes; all I ask is that you give them the chance. I ask as well that you send me a little something about how it went, even if it's just to say that nothing came of it. I love you all! If you want to see miracles, you have to go where the miracles happen.

That's my time! I'll talk to you sooner than usual! Know that you are constantly in my prayers!

-Elder Santos

ps-President also mentioned at mission conference that we're allowed to use email to communicate with friends, so could somebody post mine on Facebook? Thanks a bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment