Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

April 29, 2013


His name is longer than mine...and it's not even close


Happy Monday everyone!
 
 So we decided to try out a different cyberbase (the place where we do
 our mail) this week, and it turns out that that was an awful decision.
 I highly suggest going with what works in the future. In consequence,
 I'm having trouble getting all the email addresses that google usually
 puts in for me-could one of you two forward this on to Megan, Mele,
 and Pono?
 
 But enough of that. This week has been very fun logistically, as we
 now officially have four missionaries in our apartment. Who, you ask?
 
 MAIN CHARACTERS:
 ELDER ANDROS: is de retour in back in Martinique, after an 11 month stay in
 Guianne. Incidentally, he is also the father of Elder Porterfield, who
 was with him six weeks ago. The first time I saw him, I was about 80%
 sure that he was Draco Malfoy. I'll see if I can get a picture in the
 future to show you, but you'll get it right away.
 ELDER MIYASAKI: is our Hawaiian baby. Since he has arrived, there may
 or may not have been some very hurtful comments going around about him
 being a "real hawaiian". I stand firm in my position that I am just as
 Hawaiian as him, but so far that opinion seems to be the road less
 traveled. Fun fact-he's from Hilo! Mom, go for it-I expect to have his
 entire family tree by next week. Also, the subject line is about him.
 
 So Elder Andros came in Wednesday afternoon, and spent the day with
 the other elders. Elder Miyasaki was scheduled to come in Thursday
 morning, but apparently he lost his passport for a little while. He
 was eventually able to find it, but not before missing his flight.
 Apparently the next one they could find for him was Saturday morning.
 That meant that we spent Thursday and Friday in a tripanionship, which
 also allowed me to have a mission first-for each of those days,
 whenever we had a member with us, I went on an exchange with the
 member, while the other two would go somewhere else and do their
 thing. It was really bizzare, being the only missionary in the room
 for long stretches of time. But then, Saturday Miyasaki came in and
 for the past two days, for the first time ever, we have had three
 companionships of missionaries in operation in Martinique. Super fun
 stuff.
 
 As far as the work goes, it's been an interesting week, with us having
 lots of trouble working with our previous amis, but also being blessed
 with lots of new investigators. Good and bad news, but we're still
 plodding along. The other fun part has been working through the
 adjustment period of having new roommates. It's actually reminded me a
 lot of the first little bit at school, every semester that I was
 living with someone new. You get used to how they do everything, try
 to iron out the quirks, and generally learn a lot about how to deal
 with people.
 
 SPIRITUAL THOUGHT: So this week we set transfer goals as a district-it
 wasn't necessarily us choosing the goals though, as much as it was the
 goals being presented to us. So I thought some of them were a little
 bit unrealistic, and as we were walking around tuesday, I thought to
 myself "I just can't see it happening". Then, lightning struck my
 brain (I think Pono already used that, but shoot, that's really the
 best way I can explain it). Immediately the thought came "That's
 right, you don't see it. That's why it's called FAITH". How many times
 in the scriptures are we told that faith is that which we do not see?
 The one that came to my mind at the time was 2 Corinthians 5:7, which
 tells us that we walk by faith, not by sight. The grand moral of the
 story, though, is that if we only ever shoot for what we can see, then
 we will never ever reach what God has in store for us. Walk by faith,
 and be confident (right above the verse previously cited).
 
 Well, that's my week. I love you all, and pray for you constantly. Oh,
 and also, I'll see you in two weeks!!
 
-Elder Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment