Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Saturday, May 17, 2014

April 21, 2014

The easter crab doesn't lay eggs...

Dear family,

so, since I awkwardly forgot to say it in last week's email...

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Happy Birthday Pono!!!

Je vous aime, toute deux! On va fêter ensemble l'année prochaine. I love you, any two! We will celebrate together next year

Speaking of which, JJ sent me the Easter pictures of the girls and of the other girls. Y'all are dorks.

And, while we're making this email look longer than it actually is...

Happy Easter everyone!!!

That's where the title comes from. I don't know if anyone remembers this from last year, but the Easter tradition down here is to eat crab. So last Easter in Martinique, what that meant was getting invited to a member's house to eat crab the Monday after Easter. Nothing too crazy. This year was a bit of a different story. For those of you who don't know, Morne-à-l'eau is known as the city of crab. So having a crab holiday is what this place was meant for. Basically, when we went downtown to teach somebody after church on Sunday, roads were blocked off, music was pumping, and the entire place smelled like what I can only imagine was crab. It was a party. And that's how we celebrate Easter!

I capitalize all my "Easter"s because the red squiggly line bothers me.

But enough about that. We also had a really good week of working with members, including some truly inspiring efforts to refer us to people who we otherwise never would have met. I'll share a little thing that I told Elder Glover on an exchange this past week; we can only talk to so many people in a day, as finite beings. But a member of the church has just as much of a chance of finding a celestial being as we do. So if a missionary works alone, his chances of finding that special someone are "x". If he works closely with a member, then that chance becomes "2x". The math whizzes in the audience have probably already figured out where I'm going with this. Member work!

Does everybody know the names of the missionaries in their area? I don't suppose anyone knows who they're teaching? "Until we know a person's name and face, the Lord cannot help us to know their heart". A quote from a conference talk from last October. S. Gifford Neilsen, or something like that. It's a good one!

Anyhow, this next week is zone conference! We're just going to bring our blankets to the airport, because it's more practical that way. There will be 44 missionaries on Guadeloupe by sundown. And on a more serious note, I'm sure I'll have some cool revelation things to share next week. I'm pumped.

Love you all!

-Elder Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment