Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

October 28, 2013

We have exactly two seasons down here...


And the rainy season just hit us like a train. We've been having clouds in the sky for a little while now, but it's still been sunny and hot. Then, we woke up this morning and it was pouring. So, welcome to the rainy season! Also, I'm told that French Guianne is the hottest part of the mission, and that October is the hottest month of the year here, so if that's true it means that I've officially seen and beaten the worst that they've got to offer. Fingers crossed, in any case.

Other than that, it's been a good, although trying week. I think the most interesting part for me has been the chance that we've had to visit a handful of our less-active members. What I've discovered is that ward directories are filled with kind and faithful people, who are faced with an incredible challenge, and maybe could use a little help to beat it. Whether it's the family that used to be very active but that hasn't been to church in multiple years (the mom came to church yesterday though!), the relatively recent convert who just needs to feel some hope again, or the returned missionary who's just scared of the challenges, these are people with testimonies and righteous desires. But do we really understand how difficult that is, to return to activity after years of not going to church, and possibly years of mistakes and crippling feelings of unworthiness? I think that to be able to help these people (and make no mistake, we do have a covenant responsability to do so), we need to try to understand what they are feeling and going through. We need to be motivated, of course, by the pure love of Christ within us, by an unsullied desire for this person's well-being. Please, let's not make the mistake of approaching these people as a judge. Approach them as a friend. Help them find the courage to do a very hard thing, as well as the encouragement to continue despite adversity and potential failures.


Also, Elder Fraley has a picture of us at Zone Conference. That language would happen to be dutch. And I totally know how to say this in Dutch; "How are you? We are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! This is for you."

Which, it turns out, is all that I needed to be able to place a pass-along card. Next time I go there I've just got to figure out how to say "I don't speak dutch", and I'll be golden.

Yep.

I love you! Have a good week!-Elder Santos



No comments:

Post a Comment