Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Thursday, December 20, 2012

December 18, 2012

Dearest family and friends,

But for that matter, does anyone read this who isn't related to me? I don't want to be presumptuous, you know.

Hey all! The highlight of this week is the fact that I have officially been a missionary for one calender month! So far I'm sitting at 0 baptisms. But hey, there's always next month!

Onward to the good stuff-This week has highlighted a couple interesting points. I'm sure cool stuff happened shortly after my last email Tuesday, but I can't remember squat. So let's start with Saturday!

THE LITTLE THING!
Slight spelling change? Let's see where that takes us.
So anyway, on Saturday we all came back from our gym time, and right as I was about to get changed, Elder Salmon comes into our room and announces "Hey, we've got a mouse in our room!". Obviously, changing was postponed as we went to see the little bugger for ourselves. Sure enough, there was a tiny, incredibly fast mouse which was trying unsuccessfully to hide from us. We eventually accidentally chased it out of Elders Salmon/Anderson's room, at which point it scurried underneath the door of one of the vacant rooms right next door. We called the front desk to let them know, and a few minutes later, MTC security showed up. Which, I know may make you think "what in the world is the security guard going to do, escourt it off the campus?" Turns out, that was basically the plan. Anyway, the four of us ended up helping the security guard trap the mouse (I got to play goal-line D, blocking the door). I don't know if I already said this, but this guy was FAST. And more agile than I thought it would be, zipping across the floor. End of the story, the poor mouse ended up darting out from under the desk at the wrong time, and startled Elder Salmon into kicking it. That sufficiently stunned it, long enough for mister security to scoop it up and take it away. Aand that's this week's story.
And now that I think about it, even though I was going more for the easy pun than anything else (...cuz mice are little), I actually am grateful for that too. It ended up giving a little bit of life to what had been an otherwise dead week.
*No mice were **harmed in the production of this email.

**irreparably

So yeah. That happened.
Then Sunday came along, and the big news was that we had a change at the top in our district. For those of you who aren't regular followers (see the presumptuous comment at the top), I was assigned as District Leader on my second day here. But the halfway point for most of my district was this past Friday, which means that it was time for a change. Five minutes before it was announced in sacrament meeting, Elder Martin and I were informed that I was released as District Leader, and he would be assigned in the same capacity, effective immediately. Which, for me, means that I no longer pick up mail or tell people to be quiet at 2215. Oh, and side note; I'm working on switching over to military time.

Monday, nothing much happened, which brings us up to today. Which is handy, because, by request, I've decided to describe the general shape of a P-day.

P-DAY:
6:30-Wake up. You're still a missionary, after all.
6:34-Stumble, half-blind and half-naked, into the bathroom. Hang out there with a bunch of similarly effected guys for a while. avoid eye contact.
7:00-Finish morning preparations, being brushed, shaved, and dressed in a suit.
7:30-Breakfast. Use Tabasco sauce liberally.
8:00-Personal Study time.
9:00-Leave for the Provo Temple.
9:15-Arrive at the Provo Temple, and proceed to-haha you thought I was going to say!
11:45-Leave the Provo Temple.
12:00-Lunch.
13:00-Go to the lab and send an email.
13:30-Go back to the residence, change into street clothes, and prepare to do laundry.
13:45-Found an open washer yet? I didn't think so.
14:00-Laundry is going, letters are being written.
15:00-Laundry is done! Gather everything up, hang up the white shirts (otherwise you'd have to iron them!), and head back to the residence
16:00-You've folded your laundry, and are now continuing to write letters, depending on how many people have written you during the week,
17:15-By now, you're back in a suit and eating dinner.
18:30-Head to Devotional!
19:00-Devotional
20:00-District Devotional Review (DDR anyone?)
21:00-Plan for the following day.
21:30-Back to the rez. Journal, read mail, and socialize.
22:30- G'night!

Or at least that's how it's supposed to be. Which means that on any given p-day, I spend roughly 12 hours in a white shirt and tie.
But since the Temple closed for the year last week, I didn't get to go today. Or the next two weeks. So I just write a lot of letters in the morning, and do email during laundry time.

Well, I'm already out of time, so I'm going to have to blaze through these.

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:
Nothing big today. Read Mosiah 14, and imagine what that means for you. "By his stripes we are healed". He has already paid the price to heal you-he completed an infinite atonement, and can do nothing more. So, the question is, have you been healed? Because if not, then what has gone wrong? Obviously the Savior can do no more than what has been done, so how much have you done? Have you looked upon the brazen serpent and been healed? Done the easy part, now that the price has been paid for you to collect? Choose this day to be healed.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you shouldn't eat it either way."

CORRECTIONS:
Last week, I quoted D&C 111, but misquoted it as D&C 11. Whoops.

Alright, I'm way over time. A bientot!

-Elder Kamalu Santos




No comments:

Post a Comment