Elder Santos

Elder Santos

Sunday, November 25, 2012

November 20, 2012


Bonjour a tous,
 
Well somehow I've managed to make it to today, six days into my MTC stay. It still amazes me how much can fit into one week; I can't even imagine how many more of these I have. Onward to the story, then!
 
Characters:
Elder Santos: The protagonist. Most of you know him pretty well.
Elder Anderson: From Boise Idaho, Elder Anderson is a tall, thin elder with glasses and a quiet disposition, who speaks french with confidence and teaches comfortably. He enjoys music, whistles all day long, and is a patient student and teacher.
Elder Salmon: From Centerville Utah, Elder Salmon happens to look very much like a jock (and in fact, he started at middle linebacker in high school). By a happy coincidence, though, he only possesses the best characteristics thereof, including an easygoing manner, a natural comfort when talking with others, and a dedication to hard work, coupled, perhaps, with a low tolerance for perceived failure. Elder Salmon, happily, is also one of the most humble, agreeable people I have ever had the chance to meet.
Elder Martin: Elder Martin comes from Pleasent Grove, Utah, and approaches this work with a zealous and enthusiastic energy. He is very careful about following rules, and is learning every day.
Frere Grossin: Three months back from a mission, my teacher is absolutely the most FRENCH person I have ever met-In his dress, manner, and everything else I have had the opportunity to learn about him. He still is a missionary in the most real way; in fact, other than location, the only real difference is that he doesn't get to baptize us once we've been converted. Also, we don't speak French.
Elder Doe: That's not his real name. He is a confident missionary, and an important member of Heavenly Father's family.
Plot:
 
Wednesday, I entered the MTC, was immediately rushed in circles getting all my supplies, and then was thrown right into the classroom, where I met all of the characters listed above. I was immediately put into my trio-companionship with Elders Anderson and Salmon, and we hardly got the chance to speak all evening-busy as we were being run around. Not much happened Wednesday, but it was one of the longest days of my life-and that on a half day!
Thursday, one or two important plot points came up-first, I got a flu shot in the morning and I was symptomatic by evening, and second, I was assigned as district leader. Note-Assigned has a different meaning than called.
Friday, I woke up feeling terrible, and continued to do so all day. My companionship met our first ami de l'eglise, and we taught our first lesson. It went well, I was able to understand her and express most of the things that I wanted to say. Her name is Danielle. I was feeling lousy enough that I almost failed to note that Elders Doe and Martin went missing for a while, and it was my responsibilty to know where they were. In the evening, I got a blessing from my companions, and then went to sleep early-feeling pretty crappy.
Saturday, I woke up feeling better, and Elder Doe received an honorable discharge from the MTC. I helped him pack, and said goodbye to him at the councilor's office. As a district leader, that didn't feel great. I slept in Elder Martin's room that night (companionship rules).
Sunday was a good day for learning. I figured out what it actually means to be a district leader, so hopefully I can apply that, and I also got switched to be Elder Martin's companion. It feels a little different.
 
Pray for me. The language is going well, but I need to learn to lead, learn to teach, and learn to love.
 
Thanks for everything, I love hearing from all of you!
 
-Elder Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment